Skip to content

Our History

In 1821 Weald was a farming village, and its residents had a three-mile walk to Sevenoaks Parish Church up a very steep hill. Fortunately, two local landowners, William Pitt, Lord Amherst of Montreal Park in Sevenoaks, and Multon Lambarde of Beechmont decided to build two ‘Chapels of Ease’, one at Riverhead and one at Weald to enable the villagers to worship more regularly.

Multon Lambarde donated the land on which the Church, the Vicarage, the Church Hall and the original churchyard were subsequently built. On Friday 18th May 1821 the Archbishop of Canterbury consecrated the land and a Trust Deed was signed to finance the building of the two chapels.

The Chapel was completed in 1822 and dedicated to St George, with pews seating two hundred people, plus a small west gallery. In 1830 when the chapel at Riverhead was built a separate chaplain was appointed for each chapel. Burials took place in Weald, to save pulling the coffins up the steep hill, but baptisms took place in Sevenoaks until 1835 when a font was donated to St George’s. All burials, baptisms and marriages were registered in Sevenoaks until 1861, when Weald became a parish in its own right.

The Old Vicarage, now a private house, was built in 1824/5. A tower was added to the chapel, and a clock added in 1843. However by 1848 the tower was already causing maintenance problems and in 1895 it was judged unsafe and was reduced in height by twenty feet, to the height it is now.

Parish Church

19th Century

In 1861 the chapel became a parish church with a vicar, its own parish registers and parochial administration. In the early 1870s the Chapel was enlarged by the addition of a Chancel at the east end, and an extra forty two seating places, and it was necessary to reroute a road, Glebe Road, round the new Chancel.

20th Century

By 1907, the original churchyards on either side of the church were full so a new churchyard was consecrated in Glebe Road, and the Lychgate in 1910. An additional area was added to this churchyard and consecrated in 1989. In March 1920 a memorial was built in memory of the men of the village who had lost their lives in the Great War. It was placed at the apex of the old churchyard to the north of the church, so that it is the first item seen when entering the village from the north. Electricity was added to the church in the 1930s, and in 1975 a new vicarage was built adjacent to the old one, which was sold. An induction loop for the hard of hearing was installed.

21st Century

The Church Extension

A ramp has been built, and the church floodlit. There is also a very comfortable and well used extension, completed in 2007.